The classic White sauce made with our Classic Irish Butter Roux or our Gourmet Irish Butter Roux to use in your Lasagne, Cauliflower Cheese, Casseroles or pie mixes.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 400ml whole milk
- 1 onion halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 cloves
- 50g (6Tsp) Kirk’s Classic Roux (or 40gm (5Tsp) Kirk’s Gourmet Roux)
- Salt, to taste
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Gently bring the milk to the boil in a small thick bottom pan with the onion, studded with the bay and cloves. Turn off the heat and leave to infuse for 10 mins.
- Remove the onion, bay leaf and cloves. Bring the milk back up to a slow simmer and add Kirk’s Roux over a low heat. Stir continuously until the roux melts into the milk – approx 3-4 mins.
- Cook the mixture at a low/medium heat for 5-10 mins, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste with pepper salt and nutmeg.
- To vary the thickness simply add more milk or a little more Irish Butter Roux and stir in 5 minutes before serving.
Cream Sauce – A luxuriant variation from a béchamel to use with chicken, Pork or Fish
- Add 100ml double cream to 400ml of your Bechamel and stir in for 3 minutes over very gentle heat with some finely chopped Parsley and Chives.
Mornay (cheese) Sauce – Classic Cheese sauce to use in Cauliflower cheese or serve with Chicken or Pork dishes.
- With your Bechamel sauce still over a low heat add 50gm of finely grated Gruyere cheese and 50gm of finely Grated Parmesan Cheese to 400ml of sauce and stir in for the last 3 minutes of cooking. For a stronger flavour add mature cheddar cheese instead.
Mustard Sauce – A lovely tangy sauce that goes beautifully with Pork and Chicken.
- With your Bechamel sauce still over a low heat add 30gm English Mustard or 40gm Dijon mustard to 400ml of sauce and stir in for the last 3 minutes of cooking.