A traditional chicken gumbo made with Kirk’s Cajun Roux base with pure clarified butter.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 150g Kirk’s Cajun Roux
- 3 chicken breasts cut into pieces
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 100ml warm water
- 300ml chopped tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper cut up finely
- Ground white pepper, to taste
- Put the Cajun roux into a thick based pan over a low to medium heat. As the roux starts to melt add the onion and garlic.
- Cook the mixture at a low/medium heat for for 5-10 minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add a tablespoon of water if required.
- Put in the chicken pieces (or shrimp) and cook over a medium heat until the chicken has coloured slightly.
- Add the bell pepper and allow to soften slightly then add the mushrooms.
- Increase the heat and put in the tomatoes and water and stir well in.
- When the mixture starts to simmer reduce the heat and let it simmer on a low heat for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- To adjust your dish to the preferred thickness and flavour heat add pasata or more chopped tomatoes to cool the heat of the dish or more chilli roux to make it more spicey. Add these toward the end of cooking to your preference.
- OR Simply add Kirk’s Cajun Roux to your sauce mix 10 minutes before serving to add thickness, flavour, heat and lustre to your dish.